Monday, July 7, 2008

You Are My Sunshine

As we drove back from Meadows of Dan last night, I was caught up in the spirit of the evening and broke into song, singing "You Are My Sunshine." I knew the chorus, but that was about all.

You are my sunshine, my only sunshine
you make me happy when skies are gray
you'll never know dear, how much I love you,
please don't take my sunshine away.
That sounds pretty nice--"you make me happy" and "how much I love you." But I could recall only the first two lines of the first verse:
The other night dear, as I lay sleeping,
I dreamed I held you in my arms,
That was a nice thought, also. But, when I found the lyrics, I began to feel a bit uncomfortable with the next two lines of the first verse:
but when I woke dear, I was mistaken,
and I hung my head and cried.
Then I found the second verse, which I don't think I had ever heard:
I'll always love you and make you happy
if you will only say the same
but if you leave me to love another
you'll regret it all some day.
There's another chorus, another verse, and a final chorus, but this was pretty disturbing. In the span of two verses, the tone has moved from happiness, love, and sunshine to a serious threat.
I have commented often that the jam sessions are real, referring to the musicians and their investment into the music. Along with that real-ness comes the reference to real emotions. In a way, it is unfortunate that the words of the songs are often very clear when the song is sung.
One final example comes from the song, "On the Banks of the Ohio." It begins with:
I asked my love to take a walk
Just a little ways with me
And as we walked and we would talk
All about our wedding day.
(chorus)
Darling say that you'll be mine
In our home we'll happy be
Down beside where the waters flow
On the banks of the Ohio
Now that's a happy, serene scene--a couple walking along the riverbank, planning their wedding day and looking forward to a happy home.
Then comes the second verse:
I took her by her pretty white hand
I let her down that bank of sand
I pushed her in where she would drown
Lord, I saw her as she floated down
WHAM! Where did that come from?
There are two more verses, but . . . . Maybe there is such a state as too much reality.
I think I'll start humming along with the songs to cover the words or maybe ask: "Can you play 'Rocky Top'?" Wait, maybe I should check those lyrics first.

Today was a day to buy groceries, take care of some final home rental matters, and plan our schedule for the upcoming festivals.

No comments: