Wednesday, March 17, 2010

In Our Backyard

We wrote about rain yesterday, so today we begin with this rainbow.

Phoenix had had a rainy winter, and we caught one of the last rainy days. For the second time in the past few months, we could see both ends of the rainbow.

We were, in essence, viewing the rainbow from our "backyard" at the RV Park. I don't know the explanation for the apparent difference in the darkness levels of the sky on the inner as compared to the outer side of the rainbow.

As I zeroed in on the end of the rainbow, I was surprised by the width of the spectrum of colors. I can't remember being this close to a rainbow to notice the width of the band.

We are camped about a mile north of the Phoenix city limits and are surrounded by desert. A short walk takes us away from other RVs and into open desert.

From there we have a very good view of the sunset. Add a few clouds and the scene becomes quite dramatic.

Carrying a camera seems to invite comments from fellow travelers as I'm walking to viewing sites. Long-term residents will state: "Every evening brings beautiful sunsets" or something like "Looks even better than yesterday's sunset."

I wonder if any of the Phoenicians living near the desert with opportunities to view sunsets like these become blasé and pay little attention to the last rays of daylight.

I can't imagine that happening.

No comments: