It is indeed fortunate that the hard times (the Depression and the railroad bypassing it) that fell on Port Townsend (WA) did not result in the abandonment and eventual destruction of the many magnificent downtown structures.
On our third entry covering the walk around the historic downtown, we begin with one of the most eye-catching buildings in the town--the Hastings Building.
When it was completed in 1889, it was said to be “the handsomest building in Port Townsend,” with its thirty-eight foot inside courtyard reaching to the roof.
Completed in 1892, the council chambers of Port Townsend's have been used continuously over the life of the building. After 114 years of exposure to the maritime elements, a major restoration was undertaken. It was completed in 2006.
It was a dry goods store, bank, saloon, and grocery. In 1934 it became a wrestling and boxing club. A few years later it was remodeled to include a dance floor and renamed Club DeLeo. In 1952, restoration began and continued by the new owners in 1968. The renovation of this key building started a wave of revitalization progress that continues to this day.
A ghost sign is a faded, painted sign, at least 50 years old, on an exterior building wall heralding an obsolete product, an outdated trademark or a clue to the history of the building’s occupancy. They are ghosts because they often reappear after a rainstorm or following the demolition of a neighboring building.
When we saw the sign for the Rose Theater, we had to stop in to learn if we could take a look around.