With cousin David serving as our tour guide, we continued a walk around his hometown, Port Townsend, WA.
Partners Sigmund Waterman and Israel and William Katz owned the three-story W & K Building (shown below).
It was a very successful mercantile business which catered to tourists. In 1888, it was the third largest store in the territory.
Built by Mary Caines Fowler and her son Robert M. Caines, the building was known as the Claredon Hotel. Later, Fred Lewis owned and operated the Lewis Emporium, new and used furniture, from 1931 until his death in 1966.
Our walk took us along Port Townsend Bay and past some of the buildings that lined the shore.
Built in the Federal Style, it was the largest building in Port Townsend at the time it was constructed. Over the years, it was occupied by attorneys, dentists, a men's clothing store, a grocery store, a bowling alley, a drug store, a shoe store, and a travel agency.
Today it houses William James' Books and
This four-story business block was to include eight stores on the ground level and sixty-nine offices above, complete with elevator. The imposing building was nearly complete when the town’s economy began to collapse in the late 1880s. The much-heralded railroad line failed to come to town, so interior work on the building was suspended. The top two floors were never more than framed until 1998, when the third floor renovation was completed. The fourth floor was finished with office space, wired for high tech.
The economic conditions mentioned above had a similar effect on the Hill Building. It was put on the delinquent tax roles in 1916 and by 1928 the ground floor was vacant.