We continue our walk around Gallery 1 of the Hall of Flame Museum of Firefighting in Phoenix.
The Hunneman Company maintained a staff of several artists and painters to decorate their engines. The volunteer companies took delivery of their rigs with a simple coat of paint and contracted with a local carriage maker to decorate the engine.
For many years after its invention in 1807, riveted leather hose was an expensive part of a fire department's inventory. Only the wealthiest volunteers could afford to organize hose companies, and they commissioned fire apparatus builders to make elaborate carriages to carry the hose.
Competition between hose companies in a city fire department led them to build rigs like this, an attractive but functional carriage with a reel capacity of between 300 and 500 feet of 2-1/2 inch hose.
Although patterned after a working hose carriage, this piece has no purpose beyond its elegance and beauty.
The first ladder trucks were called "aerials."
Very few of this model of the Howe rotary pumper were purchased; this is one of the surviving few.
It was intended as a quick attack rig (using chemicals to attack the fires before the arrival of pumpers), so its two tanks were usually adequate.
The rig uses a pair of chemical tanks and is probably one of a kind. No other chemical engines copied Steiner's design.
Used by the town of Rugby, this is a good example of an English steam engine. The rig was designed to carry an entire engine company. A crew sat back to back atop the hose but directly behind the driver.
Built by the Ahrens shops in Cincinnati by the American Fire Engine Company for the city of Reno, Nevada. A large engine for its day, it could pump 750 gallons per minute.