Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Sights and Sounds of the Ocean

I would have loved to have lived in one of the beautiful homes along Ocean View Boulevard in Pacific Grove (CA). I also know that I would have found a number of reasons to be watching the action of the waves during the daylight hours and listening to the sounds of the waves meeting the shore after dark. And I can just hear some of my justifica-tions over the years for avoiding responsibili-ties at home.

"Miss Evans' class is studying how long a gull can stand on one leg."

"I've taken measure-ments of this rock for a paper on erosion; I need to take measure-ments every day."

"We're studying the invasion of the ice plants (reddish plants in the photo) and what steps can be taken to eradicate them."

"I just began using acqua, teal, and azure paints in art class to capture the color of these waves."

"I'm comparing the effects of storms in Japan on the height of waves in Pacific Grove."

"It's part of my meditation exercises--I must become One with the Ocean."

So, I am left to wonder how people who live with these views of the Pacific from their front yard can break away from the call of the sea and do what needs to be done.

As the town's webpage notes:
"Pacific Grove was once a Methodist summer retreat so there is a certain quality that is conducive to rest and relaxation."

With its foundation in rest and relaxation, Pacific Grove seems like the ideal community in which to walk among the sights and sounds of the ocean.





I can still hear the sounds of the ocean.

No comments: