"Georgetown's well-preserved, landscape graphically illustrates the development of a small Texas farming community. The architecture of the few decades following settlement was reminiscent of traditional forms in the American Upland South and Deep South, native regions of most area settlers. A continuum of vernacular architecture from the settlement period forward permeates the city and binds disparate historic elements from more than three quarters of a century. Numerous permutations of vernacular frame dwellings and limestone commercial and institutional buildings fill out the cityscape. Prolific local builder C.S. Belford and his chief competitor, C.S. Griffith, were responsible for much of the balance of Georgetown's domestic architecture of the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries; the stylized houses of prominent families and the thoughtfully laid out rows of popular builder's bungalows. Regionally acclaimed architects C.H. Page Brothers, of Austin, were the favored out-of-town designers and left their distinctive mark on several important institutional buildings in Georgetown" (georgetown-texas.org/THC_Georgetown_Texas).
We continued our exploration of some of the historic districts in Georgetown. Where possible, I have included additional notations about the homes or churches identified below.
Present church was built during 1891-92 of native limestone, hand-cut at this site. Floor plan is that of the Greek cross.
The Free Classic Queen Anne house features Doric columns, an octagonal corner bay and a distinctive oval window.
The home was built for Dr. Claude Carr Cody (sometimes call the "Grand Old Man of Southwestern") and Mrs. Martha Cody. Dr Cody was a professor at Southwestern University for 37 years.
By 1906 the growing congregation elected to construct this Gothic Revival sanctuary. Designed by C.H. Page, the limestone church was built largely by Swedish carpenters under the supervision of contractor Belford. Stained glass windows are among its many fine architectural elements.
This two-story wood-frame home is a good example of a late nineteenth-century dwelling in Georgetown and retains much of its 1886 appearance and character.
Scottish native George Irvine built this two-story frame home for his family. The founder of the Irvine Brothers Lumber Co. (later the Belford Lumber Co.), he sold the house in 1922 to postmaster Simon J. Enochs, who made modifications to its original Italianate detailing in the 1930s.
The Queen Anne style home was built by CS Griffith whose Griffith Lumber Company was a contemporary to the Belford Lumber Company of the early 1900's.
Robert Hyer built the house with an eye to symmetry using a balanced center passage plan. Using Chamfered post with stick brackets and molded capitals helped enhance the simplistic look of the home's front porch.
John Leavell was a wealthy dry goods merchant who led the first hook and ladder company of the Fire Department. The two and-a-half-story wood-frame dwelling is being restored by Todd and Kathie Cox, who are intent on retaining much of the home's character. This means "...refurbishing the staircase, all six stone fireplaces, the wrap-around porches, 90 percent of the original wood floors, and 70 percent of the old-fashioned glass windows..." (The Williamson County Sunday Sun, August 22, 2002).
The sanctuary was erected under the leadership of Rev. John McMurray in 1873. The Sanctuary is the oldest one in Georgetown and is still used for worship.
Little more than the lancet-arched windows remain to indicate the original detailing. The building was remodeled into a Gothic mode in 1895, and in 1913, the belfry, steeple, and narthex were added.
The McMurray House is believed to have been erected in 1868 by C.A.D. Clamp, a German immigrant who also built the First Presbyterian Church. This two-room house is unusual in the central positioning of the fireplace between the two rooms, as opposed to locating the chimneys at the end elevations, which is more typical in early Texas dwellings.
French Bastille styling, unchanged in remodeling in 1934.
Information provided here was gathered from the "Historical Neighborhoods of Georgetown" and georgetown-texas.org.