Monday, May 20, 2013

An Extended Walk in Breaux Bridge

As I noted yesterday, downtown Breaux Bridge, Louisiana, combined the history of its downtown buildings with a funky exterior. This theme seemed to carry through to the vehicles passing through the heart of downtown. From a truck's artwork to a towed cabin (an early RV?).
"According to National Register documents, 'Breaux Bridge, like other communities across the country, did not develop with separate commercial and residential sectors. The two were freely mixed.... Although there were scattered commercial buildings on the east side of the bayou, the downtown proper was on the west side.... Here, along Bridge and Main streets, residences stood between or across from commercial buildings'.

Fourgeaud House, 1905

"The Fourgeaud House is locally significant in the area of architecture because it is a landmark example of the Colonial Revival style within St. Martin Parish. According to National Register documents, 'The house was constructed for Dr. Louis Fourgeaud, a native of France. Fourgeaud began practicing medicine in Breaux Bridge in 1885. Sadly, he lost the home about four years after its construction was completed. It then served as a hotel until 1960. Later it became a private residence (1960-1979) and a gift shop and bridal boutique (1979-1984). Purchased by a bank in 1984, the house stood vacant for many years while local citizens negotiated to save the structure."
The Jaeger House, 1896

"Built by Victor Jaeger, this two-story Queen Anne home with Eastlake details features a two-sided wrap-around gallery, a large bay room and a large dormer above the gallery with a door and private balcony. The home has been painted in its original colors of gray, dark green and burgundy. The ground floor has handmade glass windows. Jaeger was a noted salesman and businessman and was known as the first Breaux Bridge citizen to own an automobile. An operational windmill once stood on the property making this the first home in the parish to have running water."
The Fernand Dupuis House, 1918.

"This home was the first in St. Martin Parish to blend Spanish and Victorian architectural styles. It presently serves as a law office.
St. Germain House, 1905

"Built by Louis St. Germain, this Victorian home was remodeled in the 1920's, giving its exterior the look of an Arts and Crafts bungalow. Most recently, it operated as the Maison St. Germain Bed and Breakfast.

The Clifford Pellerin House, 1903.

"A former mayor of Breaux Bridge, Claude Rees, built this home and soon afterwards sold it to Clifford Pellerin. It lodged Herbert Hoover, then Secretary of the Interior, when he visited to evaluate the flood damage from the Great Flood of 1927. It is presently a private residence.
The Nereaux House, 1905.

"Built by Cesaire LeBlanc, it was later purchased by Albert Nereaux who moved his family of four daughters to the home in 1919. The Nereauxs, known as devout Catholics, allowed Baptist church services to be conducted in the home because the city did not have a Baptist church for whites.
"The house continues to stand in great condition, with the only changes made to the front original structure being the front steps and the roof. In recent years, an addition with a second story has been added to the rear of the house. It is presently a private residence" (

No comments: