Cousin Barbara knew that we sought out restored movie theaters wherever possible on our travels and wanted to show us the Stanford Theater in Palo Alto. We found a parking space about a block from the theater and made our way through heavy foot traffic to the theater.
“The Stanford--or New Stanford as it was then known--was built in 1925 for $300,000, replacing its predecessor as part of the Peninsula Theatre Company chain. It was immediately billed in the local papers as 'The pride of the Peninsula…the last word in theatre construction.'
At the end of the second film, we were treated to the sounds of the Mighty Wurlitzer. The musical selections and the sounds of the pipes fit the era of the films and the early years of this beautiful theater.
Maybe it was the season, but we felt that this theater was a wonderful gift to the community of Palo Alto.