In October 2007, the historical anchor of the town of Williams, CA, sustained a substantial fire. Granzella’s, which was a small deli when the family purchased it in 1976, had grown. The Granzella family had expanded the restaurant, added food-specialty products, an ice cream parlor and finally the sports bar.
Only the sports bar, which had a required fire wall installed when it was added to the restaurant in 1997, was spared. But Colusa County’s second largest employer had 125 of its 300 employees out of work. (In addition to these businesses under one roof, the Granzella Inn is located a few yards away.)
One year later, the restaurant and related businesses were re-opened with services and products to meet the tastes of both locals and travelers (news10.net/news/article/49011/2/Granzellas-Celebrates-Grand-Reopening).
David Benda at redding.com noted that the Granzella family has given their employees two months' pay after the fire, and all 125 were back to work when the business re-opened.
But my choice for the most ominous warning went to Spontaneous Combustion Hot Sauce ("Be careful or this sauce may turn you into an ash heap.")
So after just a few minutes in this large store, we would agree with this assessment: "…a quick glance around this small agricultural truck stop off I-5 showed me that the Granzella family has the tourist trade down pat. Owners of a full eatery, gift shop, catering and banqueting facility and motel, the Granzella’s seem to have all the bases covered when someone needs a pit-stop off the freeway" (bestbreakfastin america.com).
(OOPS: In my entry on Sandhill Cranes two days ago, I incorrectly identified the bird in the first three photos as a sandhill crane. My cousin Tom, a knowledgeable birder, noted that the bird in the photos was a blue heron. I regret the error and appreciate Tom's interest in setting the record straight.)