Completed in 1909, the Basilica of St. Lawrence D.M. is one of Asheville's architectural treasures and spiritual anchors. It was designed by Rafael Gustavino and Richard Sharpe Smith, renowned architects on the Biltmore House.
The next point of focus, at the head of the center aisle, is the main altar and the Crucifixion tableaux above. This group is rare and fine example of Spanish wood carving of the middle seventeenth century and represents Mary and St. John at the Crucifixion (romanticasheville.com/basilica).
The second church we visited was first observed from several blocks away. Admittedly, it was the shape and color of the domed roof that prompted a closer inspection.
Of particular interest is the Art Deco copper lantern atop the dome