When a town is recognized as one of the most beautiful cities in the South, with honors that include “Best Small Town in Tennessee,” “America’s Most Romantic Main Street,” “Best Southern Town” by Garden & Gun magazine and Southern Living's #5 “Best Small Town in the South” AND it's just minutes from Nashville, we just have to visit this town.
Welcome to Franklin, Tennessee. And its town square.
The building on the far right in the photo above is the Fifth Third Bank (also shown below).
Classic in appearance with a triangular pediment and four cast-iron columns, the courthouse served in this capacity until 2004.
In the 1920s, the Rotary Club named Franklin "Tennessee's Most Handsome Town" to encourage business expansion. Given these views of Main Street today, it is hard to imagine that at one time Franklin was in a sad state of disrepair. Sidewalks were cracked and broken and metal sheeting covered the facades of some of the Victorian buildings.
The first of three sanctuaries built on this site was built in 1842. It was badly damaged after the Union Army used it as a field hospital after the Battle of Franklin. By 1887, a new church was built, but it burned to the ground in 1905. The third church was soon built and is shown above. A new Presbyterian Church was built in 1995 north of Franklin, hence the name "Historic" Franklin Presbyterian Church for the church above.