Over the course of several drives through Biloxi, we saw some of the historic sites and some of the rebuilt hotels and casinos.
"This building was constructed c. 1898. ...This is where Barq's Root Beer was first bottled. The company used the building until 1936 when the operation was relocated to the Downtown area."
"Built for a bar pilot, it is constructed of concrete blocks made from a mixture of oyster shell grit and cement. Since Biloxi was once the Seafood Capital of the World, plenty of oyster shells were discarded by the seafood factories along Front Beach and Back Bay."
The hole in the branch parallel to the ground is hard to see in the photo above, but is easily seen in the one below.
"These lists of names memorialize those lost in the 1969 storm."
"This Eclectic Architectural style church was constructed by the Diocese of Natchez for the African-American Catholic population in Biloxi. Originally, sixty-seven families were members of the church. By 1917, the church served as an elementary school and later a high school" (Biloxi Heritage Driving Tour brochure).
The new law allows the casinos to build up to 800 feet inland. Previously, religious conservatives had fought successfully to keep the casinos off dry land.
But is was the structure just across the street from the Golden Nugget that we found to be nothing short of magnificent. More tomorrow.